Thursday, January 26, 2012

Vegetarian Chipotle Chili

 I think I have been watching too many Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives lately on Food Network.  It seems they are always making some sort of soup or chili and it makes me want to jump in the car for a taste.  This chili has a nice smoky chipotle flavor with a hint of sweetness from the cinnamon (which I saw being used on the show). 

I made it on the stove top, but if could easily be made in a slow cooker.

Vegetarian Chipotle Chili

Ingredients:
  • 3 cans {organic} Tri-beans blend (I use Kroger Simple Truth brand), rinsed
  • 26 oz {all natural-low sodium} diced tomatoes (I used this Pomi brand, which was a gift from a neighbor)
  • 32 oz {all natural} vegetable broth
  • 6 oz {all natural-low sodium} tomato paste
  • 1 bag (approx. 2 cups) roasted frozen corn (Trader Joe's)
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 yellow pepper, diced
  • 1 small sweet onion, diced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 Tbps cumin powder
  • 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (Kroger)
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Directions:
1)Put all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for about one hour. Or as long as your heart desires.

NOTE: I put my vegetables in the blender/processor to save time and eliminate chopping. Pulse the vegetable to the desired consistency.  You can add more chipotle chili powder if you like it HOT! If you don't have a Kroger near you, you can use any three cans of beans you like. Make sure to read labels because many of the canned beans on the market are loaded in sodium.  I bet it would be even better if you used dried beans in the slow cooker.

Here's an informative blog entry regarding BPA in canned foods and health related issues, such as heart disease and diabetes. She actually suggests the Pomi brand: BPA and Canned Tomatoes. I'm thankful for awesome neighbors that drop {clean} goodies off at my door for me to try. I will be ordering some of these or checking out Trader Joe's for boxed tomatoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment