Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Not Yo' Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup {soup}


There is something about Campbell's chicken noodle soup that my daughter loves. There are many things I hate about it. It was my mission to make a chicken noodle soup that was packed with nutrition and met her criteria. She doesn't like chunks of celery, carrots, onion, etc in her soup. She wants chicken, broth(very little) and noodles.

The sodium in prepackaged foods is appalling.  It's not easy to actually figure how many servings are in a can since there is 10.75 ounces in each can and a serving size is 1/2 cup. I managed to do the math and the original Campbell's chicken noodle soup has 2,290mg a can (and that is what we do, eat the whole can)!!!  It's recommended that a HEALTHY individual gets LESS than 2,300mg of sodium DAILY (the less the better). 1,500mg a day or less if you are over 51, black, have high blood pressure, diabetes, or chronic kidney disease.

And, I know what you may be thinking, there is a lower sodium option. Not to my surprise it comes in at 1,485mg of sodium. Just shy of the TOTAL daily intake for those of you over 51. 


But wait, there's more...There is a Campbell's HEALTHY CHOICE option too. Brace yourself for this people, it contains High Fructose Corn Syrup. I think I missed the memo on HFCS becoming healthy. Also, it has 925 mg of sodium.

This is the one my daughter likes. It comes in at 1,080mg a can.

Ok, now that that is out of the way. I will get to MY recipe. 
Not Yo' Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup {soup}

This soup comes in at 1,240mg of sodium for the WHOLE BATCH! That comes out to roughly 200mg a serving. The best part of it all is: my daughter LOVES it! Finally, success. This soup has carrots, celery, onions, and garlic in it too! No lie. Thanks to my new high speed blender I whipped all of those into a nice broth.  I no longer try to sneak food into my daughter's foods (she's 7), instead I educate her on creative ways to eat foods. With that being said, she was there to push the ON button to the new blender to see all the veggies "disappear". It was cool! (I still try to fool the 3 year old, that boy is picky) He managed to eat a few bites of the soup before eating yogurt. Seriously!


Ingredients:
(Makes approx. 6 large servings)
  • 3 {organic} chicken breast,cooked
  • 1 Tbps Olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
  • 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled & roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp dried parlsey (fresh herbs would be even better)
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 32 oz {low sodium} chicken broth
  • 12 oz No Yolks noodles
Directions:
1)  Add olive oil to a hot soup pan. Then add garlic, celery, carrots, and onion.

2) Saute over med/high heat for approx. 5 minutes. Stirring often.
3) Add vegetables to a high speed blender.
4) Add all herbs, salt, and pepper to blender.
5) Add chicken brother to blender.
6) Blend until all ingredients turn into a broth. Set aside.
7) In the same hot soup pan cook No Yolks noodles until done in boiling water. Drain and return to pan.
8)Add prepared broth to the noodles.
9)Pulse the cooked chicken in the blender until desired size is reached. Add to soup.
10) Stir and serve.

NOTE: If you enjoy chunks of vegetables in your soup(like I do), take the time to mince or chop them. Then saute them until fork tender in the pan before adding the broth.
Also, I just cooked my chicken breast in a pan (with a little water) in the oven on 400 until done. Easy Peasy.




No comments:

Post a Comment