Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Gluten Free {clean} Tex-Mex Polenta Pizza


I love Mexican food and I love pizza, so I was excited to give this recipe a try. Also, I had a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce waiting to be used (odd, I know).  

This recipe was very simple.  My husband and I both really enjoyed this recipe. I will be making it again in the future. Another recipe for Meatless Monday or any other meatless day of the week.


Gluten Free Tex-Mex Polenta Pizza

Recipe from : www.cleancusineandmore.com
Serves: 4-6 


Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided (plus more for greasing pan)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup cornmeal (polenta)
  • 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt, plus more to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (look for these in the ethnic section of your supermarket)
  • 2 cups shredded carrots (to save time, buy bagged pre-shredded carrots)
  • Cumin, to taste
  • 1 cup shredded, low-fat organic mozzarella cheese (I prefer Chipotle Gouda, white cheddar, or Monterrey Jack instead)
  • 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Directions:
1)Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly coat an 81⁄2-inch springform pan with extra virgin olive oil.
2)In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Whisking constantly, slowly add the cornmeal and 1 tablespoon oil. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, until the polenta starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, 4–5 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
3)Remove from heat. Spread the polenta over the bottom of the prepared pan, using a spoon to form a raised edge. Set aside for 10 minutes to set.
4)Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, purée the black beans, remaining oil, and chipotle pepper until mixture is smooth and creamy. Using the back of a spoon, spread the chipotle–black bean hummus on top of the polenta. Layer the shredded carrots on top. Season carrots with cumin to taste. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the carrots.
5)Bake polenta pizza for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the chopped cilantro on top. Return polenta pizza to the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Allow polenta pizza to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the springform pan. Cut into wedges and serve warm.

NOTES:  I did things a little different than the recipe. My family doesn't like to see their carrots in random dishes so I pureed it all. I put the beans, oil, cumin (2 tsp), chipotle pepper and carrots into the Vitamix and created a one layer hummus spread. Then I topped with cheese. I only had mild cheddar on hand. We topped with lettuce, cilantro, and tomatoes.  
I like to steam my carrots first to make them sweeter. It's easier to hide them in the dishes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment