Sunday, January 27, 2013

{clean} Vanilla Almond Milk


I've always heard that making your own almond milk is simple. Wow! It really is simple. You just need to remember to plan to soak your almonds before hand. 

This is just a basic recipe. Feel free to adjust the honey and vanilla to your taste.

{clean} Vanilla Almond Milk

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup raw unsalted almonds
  • 4-5 cups filtered water
  • 1-2 tsp all natural vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbps honey or 5-6 pitted dates
1) Soak raw almonds (covered) in water for up to 6 hours. The longer you soak the more depth of flavor your milk will have. (At least that's what I've read) Drain almonds.
2) Blend soaked almonds, filtered water, honey, and vanilla in a high speed blender until smooth. When you see the frothy top, you can stop blending.
4) Strain the milk mixture through a cheese cloth or nut milk bag

Also try: Add 1 cup almond milk, 1 Tbps cocoa powder, 1 Tbps agave or honey and you have some tasty chocolate milk. I put it in the Vitamix for a few seconds.

NOTE:  I plan on buying a nut milk bag in the future. I read about many techniques and I think the bag is the way to go. BUT, don't laugh...I got thrifty today...my daughter had a brand new pair of tights that were too small and she was never going to use. I used them as cheese cloth and it worked fantastic. I cut the foot portion off (approx 6 inches), poured the milk into the "sock" and then squeezed the milk out. I washed it and will continue to use it until I get a true nut milk bag. 


No comments:

Post a Comment