Monday, March 21, 2011

Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas

If you know me, you know I love Mexican food.  Mexican was one of the first things I started to make {clean}. This enchilada recipe is lower in fat than the traditional enchiladas you get at a restaurant. Cheese loves out there:  I promise I will post another recipe later with more cheese and creaminess, but for now I'm on a weight loss mission!  These enchiladas satisfy my Mexican cravings (which are about every day) and keep me on track with my goals. 


Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas


Ingredients:
  • 1-1 1/2 lbs of boneless chicken breast
  • 1 can {organic} black beans (mashed)  
  • 1 can {organic} no salt added diced tomatoes (drained)
  • small sweet onion (sliced)
  • 3 garlic cloves (minced)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp cumin
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 4 oz shredded cheese (i used half Monterey Jack and half Mild Cheddar)
  • 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro (chopped)
  • 1 small red chili pepper (chopped), or whatever pepper you have on hand
  • 8 large whole wheat tortillas
  • {clean} Red Enchilada Sauce
1)  Combine chicken, tomatoes, onion, salt, garlic, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and paprika into crockpot.  Cook for approx 2 hours on high or low for 6 hours. Once cooked, shred with fork and add to large mixing bowl.
2)  With chicken, add mashed black beans, cilantro, red chili pepper. Stir.  
3)  Lay out 8 flour tortilla on counter and evenly scoop mixture on to tortillas.
4)  Even distribute the cheese on top of the mixture.
5)  Pour enough enchilada sauce on bottom of baking dish to cover (to avoid them sticking)
6)  Roll each enchilada and place fold side down into the pan.
7) Top with remaining sauce.
8)  Bake covered at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until warm.

Topping suggestions: Shredded lettuce, black olives, light sour cream, cilantro...you get the point.

NOTE: When cooking with a crockpot, if you are to cook on low heat the crockpot on high for 30 minutes before.  I'll post the enchilada recipe soon. And if you aren't watching your calories feel free to up the cheese to 6 or 8 ounces.




2 comments:

  1. awesome Enchilada even though I forgot the cheese for the inside, so I just sprinkled a little bit on the top after I was done baking them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Dana! I often forget the cheese these days too. I will have to make these again it's been too long!

    ReplyDelete