Sunday, January 9, 2011

SPICY SWEET POTATO FRIES

I'll admit I was skeptical when I decided to attempt to make my own baked fries(and ditch the bagged processed fries)... Even more so to make them using sweet potatoes, which I have always hated.  They were SO good.  I'm a {hater} no more! Even my 6 year old LOVES them. For you parents out there, that's a huge win.




Spicy Sweet Potato Fries


Ingredients
  • 2-3 Sweet Potatoes 
  • 1 tsp Paprika
  • 1 tsp Cumin
  • 1 tsp Chili Powder
  • 1 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Sea salt
  • pinch of black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (approx)
  1. Remove skin from potatoes and place in microwave oven for 2-3 minutes.  (This will make it easier for cutting thru tough potatoes)  
  2. In a large bowl, mix all other ingredients in a bowl.
  3. Cut off ends of potatoes and discard. Cut each potatoes lengthwise first, then into strips(longer potatoes will need to be cut into half also).  Make sure to make all strips about the same size for even baking.
  4. Once all strips are cut, mix in the large bowl with other ingredients. I find using your hands works best!
  5. After all strips are evening coated, lay strips out on a baking sheet (single layer).
  6. Bake at 400 degrees for approx. 30 min or until tender. (Flip fries half way thru)
UPDATE: I find it works best if you bake at a lower temp, say 300-350 for a longer period of time. Also, use a cookie cooling type rack ( I can't think of the true name of the racks) in the oven allows for the air to flow all around the french fries and eliminates the need to flip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment