Tuesday, January 11, 2011

AVOID ARTIFICIAL SUGARS

One principle in the {Eat Clean} way of life is...Avoid artificial sugars.

I knew they were not {that} good for you, but did I want to face the fact that I was consuming something on a daily basis that was linked to cancers, dental problems, and other health issues? Also, there are studies stating it can hinder weight loss efforts and play tricks on our body. 

I started using Sweet 'N Low to sweeten my coffee years ago because it was calorie free. After reading more about artificial sweeteners, I had to face the facts I was actually pouring chemicals into my coffee. Why? I suppose because I wasn't educated on the fact there were other alternatives out there, not to mention I was quite lazy in the interest to make a change to a healthier me.

So, did I make a change?  Yes
What do I use now to sweeten my coffee? 
100% Pure Stevia Extract.  

Before starting the {eat clean} plan I had already started using Truvia (made of rebiana, erythritol, and natural flavors)which is made with Stevia, but I wanted to get to the pure source. I found Pure Stevia Extract at Trader Joe's for $9.99 a bottle.  That may seem pricey to you, it sure was to me at first.  I will tell you that it last a long time.  The container states "622 Servings".  As you can see from the image above, it comes with a very little scoop! (that's because it's 300 times sweeter than sugar)  I like my coffee super sweet so I use two tiny scoops per cup.  


With all this being said, I want to make sure to convey the point that even things from nature should be consumed in moderation.  Too much of a {good} thing is still too much sometimes.



No comments:

Post a Comment