Monday, January 10, 2011

GUILT-FREE BUFFALO CHICKEN STRIPS

One thing I crave from time to time are buffalo wings.  But, let's face it, they are not on the healthy food list. This recipe is a healthy alternative to greasy deep fried wings.  This calls for ingredients you might not recognize or have on hand. Trust me, before starting this {eat clean} journey I had no clue what wheat germ was or where the hell to find it at the grocery store. The almond meal is something I stumbled upon during a visit to Trader Joe's. Man, I am glad I found this because it makes any recipe that calls for chopped almonds a breeze.  And I use it most all of my breaded dishes. (Update 2012: I now can make my own almond meal at home in the Vitamix)

 TIP: You should be able to find wheat germ in the cereal aisle of most grocery stores. If not, ask all your friends and a jar of wheat germ might magically show up on your doorstep. It did for me



Guilt-Free Buffalo Chicken Strips

Ingredients
  • 3 large chicken breast
  • 1/2 c Wheat Germ (or I have used Oat Bran before)
  • 1/2 c Almond Meal (or grind your own almonds)
  • 1/4 c Wheat Flour
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp white pepper (black would do)
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 c Chicken Stock
  • 2-3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I use Barlean's Coconut Oil too)
  • {clean} Buffalo Wing Sauce

1)  Cut chicken breast into long strips and set aside.
2)  In a bowl add wheat germ, almond meal,flour and spices. Stir.
3)  In an additional bowl pour chicken stock to use to "predunk" the chicken strips. (this step could be omitted)
4)  In a sauce pan(grill pan) add olive oil to coat bottom of pan and heat to medium heat.
5)  Dunk chicken in stock, then dry mix(make sure to even coat the chicken), then add to pan. Note: Do not turn chicken for the first 3-5 minutes. Once it starts to cook through, turn and cook remainder of time.
6)  Remove from heat and coat with Wing Sauce

This goes great with my Sweet Potato fries! Enjoy.

NOTE: I bet you could try baking these in the oven too. I suggest trying 375 degrees. Turning once. Note sure on the length of time. I might also try grinding the almond meal and wheat germ in the Vitamix and omitting the wheat flour next time. I'll update if I do. 



KID APPROVED??? yes, without the wing sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment