Roasted broccoli adds such great depth of flavor to this dish. The fresh lemon zest and juice brighten the dish perfectly. If you typically steam or eat your veggies raw you should try roasting them next time. I love how differently the vegetable can taste depending on how it has been prepared.
I'm always looking for simple side dishes that reheat well for lunch the next day. This one does just that. I use frozen broccoli from Costco because it is always on hand AND it tastes fantastic! That can't be said for all frozen broccoli so choose wisely.
Roasted Broccoli with Israeli Couscous
- Broccoli florets (approx 1 lb), fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Pinch pepper
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 Tbps organic extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cups dry Israeli Couscous (prepared per package instructions in water)
1) To cook the broccoli, preheat the oven to 400°F. Chop the broccoli florets into small pieces (or wait until you are done if using frozen).
2) Add broccoli to baking sheet or baking dish, toss the broccoli with the salt, pepper, garlic and enough oil to coat. Make sure all broccoli is in a single layer.
3)Roast the broccoli in the oven until tender, about 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes. Longer possibly if using frozen.
4) Take roasted broccoli and garlic and mix with cooked couscous. Also stir in lemon juice and zest.
NOTE: Salt and Pepper to taste.
Optional: Add in a small amount of high quality Parmesan Cheese or chopped/sliced almonds.