Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Gluten-Free Millet Pancakes

This recipe comes from the new book, Clean Cuisine {an 8-week anti inflammatory nutrition program that will change the way you age, look, and feel}. I can't wait to start reading it and give you my review.  I know it's going to be awesome!

Until then....It's National Pancake Day!  I had to try the gluten free pancake recipe from the book right away. The book is full of recipes! We are always looking for ways to rid gluten from our lives. Why? I will get into that another day. Just trust me until then, gluten drags you down!

This recipe was a huge hit with my 4 year old taste tester. I will be making more for Brinner (breakfast for dinner) later today and testing it out on the whole family.  It's going to be our new go to pancake recipe. 

In the book it has the recipe spelled out for one serving. For my family we are always looking for ways to make extra to freeze or use later in the week. With that being said, I took the recipe and multiplied it by four. 

Gluten-Free Millet Pancakes
(Photo courtesy of Clean Cuisine)

Ingredients:
Serves 4
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 4 organic pastured eggs (I had to settle for organic)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup hemp seeds (I used golden flaxseed)
  • 12 pitted dates
  • 1 1/4 cup millet flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp unrefined sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • organic extra-virgin coconut oil (such as Barlean's), for oiling the skillet
Directions:
1) In a high-speed blender, combine all of the ingredients except for the coconut oil and blend until smooth and creamy.
2) Lightly oil the bottom of a skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, pour a small amount of batter in the pan. Cook until bubbles form on the surface, then flip the pancakes, and continue to cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat until batter is gone.
3) Serve warm with fresh fruit.
NOTE: We love cinnamon! Next time I will be adding more to the recipe. Also, we have a large griddle that makes it super simple to make large batches!



No comments:

Post a Comment