Monday, August 27, 2012

No-Bake Energy Bites

These little nuggets of love had me at NO-BAKE...These are super simple to make and the possibilities are endless. I just LOVE peanut butter!!! Heck, I LOVE all nut butters for that matter.  These make a great snack in school lunches or on the go, an after school snack to fuel up for homework, and even a great satisfying dessert!




No-Bake Energy Bites
Ingredients:

  • 1 cup (dry) oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
  • 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes (I use untoasted)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (no added oils)
  • 1/2 cup ground flaxseed 
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips-70% or greater is best (optional)
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 tsp. {all natural} pure vanilla extract

Method:
Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed.  Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.  Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like.  (Mine were about 1″ in diameter.)  Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.

NOTES: I typically make a double batch and use only a 1/2 cup of chocolate for the double batch. It all depends on how many of them you eat a day and how dark your chocolate is as to whether or not you should cut it back.

I make these also with dairy free Enjoy Life brand mini chips. They work great. I get my peanut butter in the cooler section of Costco and it has NO sugar in it. Parker Farms is the brand.  You can make this with almond butter as well. 


Visit this link for more detailed information on this recipe: www.smashedpeasandcarrots.blogspot.com




1 comment:

  1. Teaching kindergarten and pushing 40... I need all the energy I can get. I am going to make these for breakfast this week.

    ReplyDelete