Monday, May 23, 2011

Leek and Mushroom Rice

This is one of my new favorite side dishes. And to think it came together because of limited ingredients in the kitchen.  Before I began blogging I would have never thought to write down my ingredients as I concocted them. Well, I am glad I do now because this one's a keeper. Super simple, healthy, and delicious.

Leek and Mushroom Rice

Ingredients:
  • 1 c long grain brown rice (not instant)
  • 2 c {low sodium} chicken stock
  • 6 garlic cloves (minced)
  • 1 cup white mushrooms (chopped)
  • 1 medium leek, white part (chopped)
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/4 tsp sea or kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tbp olive oil


1) Cook rice according to bag but instead of water add chicken stock & add 3 minced garlic cloves to the stock. (most take 35-45 minutes to cook)
2) While rice is cooking, in another pan heat olive oil to medium heat & sauté mushroom, leeks, and remaining 3 garlic cloves until tender.  (approximately 3-5 minutes) Set aside.
3) Once rice is done cooking, add mushroom mixture, thyme, salt, and pepper to rice and stir.
4) Serve.

NOTE: If you have never cooked with leeks before please make sure to google how to properly clean them. They are very dirty little vegetables.  You don't want sand or dirt in your rice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment