Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Whole Wheat Pancakes

Pancakes! Pancakes! Pancakes! My kids love pancakes.  All types of pancakes.  All shapes and sizes of pancakes.

Whole Wheat Pancakes


Before setting off on this {eat clean} journey I would always buy pancake mix in a box thinking it was too difficult for me to make my own from scratch. Wow, I was so wrong.  After a few botched batches, I have come up with a perfect recipe for my family.  These pancakes are packed full of protein, fiber, and Omega 3s. 

In the past I would make whole wheat pancakes and they would taste very heavy. A friend of mine suggested Bronze Chief because of it's super fine texture. It's fantastic!  It can be found at Wal-mart for less than $3.50 for a 5lb bag.  


Ingredients:
  • 1 c whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c all natural {no sugar added} applesauce
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal 
  • 3/4 c fat free milk or light vanilla soy milk
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1 Tbsp agave nectar


    1) In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together until well blended.
    2) Heat griddle to 350-375 degrees. Pour appropriate amount of batter on griddle. 
    3) Cook for a 1-2 minutes and then flip and cook another 1-2 minutes.


    NOTE:  This recipe makes approx 12 medium sized pancakes.


    KID APPROVED??? Yes




    No comments:

    Post a Comment